ASAP (Against Substance Abuse in Pope) County
Against Substance Abuse in Pope County (ASAP)
211 East Minnesota Avenue
Glenwood, MN 56334
MISSION: Increase awareness and community involvement around youth substance use in Pope County.
VISION: Pope County will be a healthy, safe, and caring environment for all.
Against Substance Abuse in Pope County (ASAP) is a coalition made up of community members who have come together to make Pope County a safer place by reducing youth alcohol and marijuana use. ASAP is funded by a federal grant program called Drug Free Communities.
The coalition has the following two goals:
1. Increase and strengthen community collaboration to support prevention efforts.
2. Reduce substance use among youth in the Pope County area.
WHO WE ARE
The ASAP Coalition is made up of community partners that are concerned about substance use among our youth. Together they form a county wide effort to keep our youth healthy and safe. Thanks to the following organizations for being a part of ASAP:
- Glacial Ridge Hospital
- Glenwood Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce
- Glenwood Police Department
- HOPE Community Church
- Horizon Public Health
- KMGK Radio
- Minnewaska Area Schools
- Minnewaska Students
- Minnewaska PTA
- Minnewaska Assembly of God Church
- Pope County Family Collaborative
- Pope County Tribune
- Pope County Sheriff's Office
- Pope County Probation
- Pope County Human Services
- Pope County Board of Commissioners
- Pope County Community Members
- Starbuck Police Department
WHAT WE DO
1. Reduce Youth Access to Alcohol: Pope County now has a Social Host Ordinance that makes it unlawful for persons to knowingly allow or host underage drinking parties on private or public property, regardless of who purchased the alcohol.
2. Responsible Beverage Server Training: Liquor establishments throughout the county are invited to attend this training. It is FREE and it helps alcohol servers identify underage buyers and over-intoxication. If you are interested in attending this training or having this training brought to your establishment, please call 320-634-7822.
3. Media Campaign: Our media campaign focuses on correcting the misperception that "all kids drink." Local data indicates that students who correctly perceive most students don't drink monthly, are less likely to drink themselves.
4. Youth Group: The Students Against Destructive Decisions student group at the Minnewaska School is involved in many activities that focus on empowering students to make good choices.
JOIN OUR COALITION
We are always looking for passionate people who are looking to keep our youth healthy, safe, and drug-free! Our coalition meets the 2nd Thursday of the month from 12-1pm at the Glenwood Pizza Ranch and we would love to have you join us!